- This article relates to the official games. See Pikipedia's "Common Glowcap" article for more official information.
|Appearance in Pikmin 3, pink variant.|
|Scientific name||Fungi luminarium|
In Pikmin 3, Common Glowcaps are either cyan or pink and of different sizes. Initially immersed in the ground with only the tops showing, touching them causes them to rise and illuminate a small area around them. The light from these plants can damage and kill Phosbats, as well as provide shelter from the Vehemoth Phosbat.
Appearance in Pikmin Adventure.
In fanon games
This is where users type their version of the Common Glowcap.
In Pikmin 251
This article or section presents information pertaining to Pikmin 251, a Pikmin 2 ROM hack created by PikHacker.
|Caves||Gambler's Den, Flaming trench, Wooden Fortress, Grubdog Domain, Arachnid Asylum, Perilous Pipeline|
|Challenge Mode stages||The Gauntlet|
|Battle Mode stages||None|
- “You would think that this illuminated mushroom would help provide some light in dark caverns, but it really doesn't help. I wonder why that is...”
Cookin' with Louie
- “Rapturous fresh or sauteed, this illuminating fungus will be hot in the galaxy's trendiest restaurants.”
In Pikmin: Dual Worlds
This article or section presents information pertaining to Pikmin: Dual Worlds, a fangame created by Cyan piklord 64.
|Scientific name||Fungcoloreus luminarium|
|Areas||Quinacridone Quarry/+, Salem Swamp/+, Red Stage Rustworks+|
|Effects||Produces light, may attract enemies, may harm or repel enemies|
|Music||Adds funky background bits and some light chimes to current music|
The Common Glowcap acts much the same as in prior games, either simply existing in the open or popping up when stepped on. Unlike prior games, more than the simple cyan or pink mushrooms appear; indeed, while these are the most common, it can appear in any color. Certain variants of particular interest are:
- Mint (only ever appears in a set alongside a bluish purple one, which only appears alongside mint.)
- Magenta (sometimes appears in a pair with Lime)
- Pink (sometimes appears in a pair with Yellow)
- White (singular but rare)
- Clear (singular but rare occurrence, according to notes it's this way due to simply having no pigmentation at all.)
- "Black" (Very rare. Instead of truly being black, it produces ultra-violet light, which is sometimes known as "black light". It seems that there's a set of textures that are only used when this black light is applied, which happens to contain various easter eggs and doodles.
- Bronze (Only spawns in Red Stage Rustworks+. It's rather common there. It's just full of rust. It doesn't produce as much light..)
- RGB (Only spawns in the Black Hole (Pikmin: Dual Worlds). Why not, y'know?)
It can deter or harm certain enemies, such as members of the aerodentia family, and it sprouting can attract others to the location. Enemies stepping on or near it can cause it to sprout, others actively staying away.
- “"This species of Lumicelium is commonly found in caves all over the planet. Despite the most common color known being a bluish or cyan shade, more recently pinkish red and various other shades have also been discovered. The pink variant is the second most common, even having gained the colloquial name of "crimson glowcap". Though they're often found exposed and on the surface of the ground, they can also be found partially buried, and only after stepping on or near it will it sprout up in full. As it produces a cloud of spores when it rises from the ground, it's thought that it does this so as to scare the now spore-covered being that stepped on it away, spreading its spores. As a side effect, some species have learned to avoid stepping on or near these buried specimens as a result, as the sound and sudden increase in light produced by it may draw predators nearby to the source."”
- “"This glowing ingredient's flavor may change slightly depending on what color it is. Olimar says it's got something to do with the different compounds and minerals that happen to cause the coloration. Soak it in water long enough and it should get rid of the coloration as well as the unwanted additional flavor, allowing the fresh, sweet-but-tangy flavor to really shine!"”
- “Structural flaw: none. This peculiar mushroom appears in several different colors. Some specimens even shift between two different colors or have two colors on them. On close inspection, it seems that the mushroom itself simply glows a bright white. Instead, minerals it absorbs from the ground cause specimens to change color, and as a result the color they glow.”
- “Despite having a similar shape to a lamp shade, the mushroom itself produces light. It reminds me of those glowy bracelets I used to wear so my parents made sure I didn't get lost while trick or treating. It'd make for an eye-catching hat that could easily fulfil the same purpose!”
- “I like these things. They're comforting, in a way. That soft glow, the vibrant color, the fact that Phosbats generally wouldn't touch you with a fifty foot pole if you're near them, y'know.”
In Pikmin: Redemption
This article or section presents information pertaining to Pikmin: Redemption, created by Sir Pikmin.
In Pikmin: Redemption, Common Glowcaps have a range of different colors, each indicating how close the Hocotatium 111 is to critical mass. Some colors include yellows, greens, blues, reds, oranges, and violets.
This article or section presents information pertaining to Pikspore, a fanon game created by Neini.
In Pikmin: Wide World
This article or section presents information pertaining to Pikmin: Wide World, a fanon game created by Cheepy-Cheepy.
The Common Glowcap is a glowing fungus that appears in Pikmin: Wide World. Some Common Glowcaps are initially found shrunken into the ground, identifiable only as a small glowing bump, and upon being closely approached by anything, it will suddenly spring from the ground, shining soft light down in a cone shape from its cap. Many are already found in their active state, however. The light cast by a Common Glowcap matches its color. Leaders and Pikmin hiding in this light will be sheltered from Vehemoth Phosbats, Emberglow Phosbats, Vampire Bulbears, and Dwarf Vampire Bulbears, and any Phosbat Nymphs that enter this light will be harmed over time so long as they remain in it. Once activated, a Common Glowcap will not return to its initial state. Bumping into a Common Glowcap will cause it to wobble slightly and release some harmless glowing spores. The Common Glowcap's enormous, transportable relative is the Colossal Glowcap. Brilliant Glowstalks somewhat resemble massive Common Glowcaps.
Common Glowcaps, after they emerge from the ground, have a tall, slender stem, and a cap that curves and then tapers to a rounded tip. Usually, each Common Glowcap has smaller Common Glowcaps around its base that sprout when it does. Common Glowcaps can be of a wide array of vibrant colors, such as red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, and even white.
- “The Hocotatium 111 within this plant gives it its wide range of brilliant hues, which seems to span almost the entire color spectrum, including the color white. For unknown reasons, some common glowcaps only fully sprout when subject to vibrations, while others can sprout on their own. Until they do, they remain buried in the ground with only the tip of their cap visible.”
- “I'm sure if we could bring one of these mushrooms back to Hocotate, they would make wonderful street lamps! It would net me at least a few Pokos, right?”
- “You can't tame a fungus. At least, not this kind. They are very pretty, though. Honestly, I wouldn't mind having a color-changing lamp of one of these for my room when I get back to Hocotate.”
- “In a dark room, this ingredient gives off an appealing and welcoming glow. Works well by itself as a colorful appetizer!”
Dolphin Lander's notes
- “I am in love with these fungi! I wish Olimar would have retrieved a sample to place in a pot to grow. Imagine being in possession of every color of common glowcap...”
|Pikmin: Wide World|
|Main (Olimar • Shacho • Marie • Louie • Dolphin Lander) • Side (Alph • Brittany • Charlie • Dorris • Hunnigan • Granny Marma • Libra • Margot • Sagittarius • S.S. Drake • S.S. Dreamstride) • Mentioned (Bulbie • Freight Voyager • SPERO)|
|Main (Yellow Pikmin • Blue Pikmin • Red Pikmin • Rock Pikmin • Green Pikmin • Purple Pikmin • White Pikmin • Winged Pikmin) • Other (Alien Pikmin • Captmin • Mushroom Pikmin) • Parasitic Pikmin (Blue Bulbmin • Breadmin • Burrowing Snagmin • Cannon Beetlemin • Dweevilmin • Groinkmin • Hairy Bulbmin • Orange Bulbmin • Red Bulbmin • Spinermin • Spotty Bulbearmin • Wollymin) • Utilities (Onion • Pellet)|
|Data file (Pikminology, Wildlife Survival, Explorers' Tales) • Fruit (list) • Nugget • Sparklium • Treasure • Upgrades|
Black nectar • Hammer seed • Knuckle seed • Nectar • Ultra-bitter spray • Ultra-hot spray • Ultra-minty spray • Ultra-spicy spray • Ultra-sweet spray • Ultra-toxic spray • Whip seed
|Acid • Adhesive • Blunt force • Bubble • Electricity • Explosion • Fire • Ice • Lubricant • Mud • Panic • Poison • Spore • Water|
|Achievements • Caravan • Dialogue • Hints • HocoPad • Options • Pikpik carrot • Pit • Soul • Soundtrack • Squad desertion • Sunset • Temperature • Weather • Game modes (Story Mode • Battle Mode • Challenge Mode • Bottomless Abyss)|
|Changes during development • Gallery|